The Egyptological Collections “Edda Bresciani” of the University of Pisa today represent a reference point for scholars and enthusiasts of archaeology and history of ancient Egypt. The importance of these collections is enormous, especially the finds from the area of ancient Nubia, largely the result of excavations carried out under the patronage of the University of Pisa.
The Egyptological Collections of the University of Pisa were born in 1962, thanks to a first donation made by Laura Birga Picozzi, descendant of the family of Ippolito Rosellini, the founder of Italian Egyptology. Together with J.-F. Champollion, he led the famous Franco-Tuscan Expedition to Egypt and Nubia (1828-1829), base for the study of ancient Egypt. To the Picozzi Collection was added in 1964 the Schiff Giorgini Collection, consisting of about four hundred objects of exceptional value, coming from the excavations conducted by Michela Schiff Giorgini in Sudan, under the patronage of the University of Pisa.
In 1968 the Ostraka collection of Oxyrhynchus was added to the Egyptological Collection of the University of Pisa. This new collection consists of one thousand five hundred fragments of terracotta pottery (used in ancient times as a desk support), inscribed with demotic texts illustrating the life of a small oasis in Roman Egypt. Also part of the Egyptological Collections are the A. E. Breccia Archive, donated in 1967 to the University of Pisa by the scholar’s wife, together with other material from excavations conducted in Egypt by the University of Pisa or donated by private donors.
The Museums of the University of Pisa is a network of nine structures in addition to the Natural History Museum which is located in Calci, a few kilometers from Pisa.